Prevention and treatment of the most common diseases caused by work in static position.
People who maintain a static position during their work should have 10-15- minutes break every hour. During this break, it is necessary to stir and stood on their toes and heels to improve venous flow. It is recommended to take a position opposite to the one in which they were standing, a for long time, to stretch back neck, shoulders, back, waist and relax wrists and fingers.
It is very important to maintain a proper sitting position:
- If you are working on a computer, the center of the monitor should be on the eye level. Head is upright, chin facing forward. Elbows are folded 90 degrees. Shoulders should be straight, but slightly loose. The back should be straight and the tip of the shoulder blade should be tightly fitting against the backrest of the chair. A saddle shape of the backrest is recommended.
- The seat must be flat and not shorter than the thigh, in order not to press the blood vessels in popliteal hole (back side of the knee).
- The level of the knees should be on the same level as the hips. The feet must be stepped fine and relaxed. The imaginary line between the ears and pelvis should follow the natural curve of the spine
- Never cross your legs. It causes strain and pain in the lower back and even the genitals.
- The wrists should not be twisted in or out and not to be tense. Use a pad to raise the keyboard if necessary
Other aspects of prevention of diseases caused by a long maintenance of static position are:
A walk in the nature, fitness, aerobics, yoga, Pilates, jogging or stretching in the park, massage (selective) – toning or relaxing according to the condition of the muscles. Healthy diet Cleansing diets (occasionally).
These prophylactic measures prepare muscles and joints for static load and relieve the stress during the day.
If the damage is anyway done, the physiotherapy may be helpful. According to the leading symptoms (pain or inflammation) and to the severity of the disease, different types of treatment can be conducted. Low-, medium- or high currents, magnet, ultrasound, laser, shockwave therapy could be chosen. Along with these procedures it is good to do selective massage (neck, back, or whole body massage).
If physical therapy does not help, we may resort to the medications (non-steroidal and steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), and eventually to surgery.